Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Special Olympics 2015 | 58


(photos taken: July 31, 2015)

I've heard about the Special Olympics a while ago but I never really looked into it. Until this year when I found out they were taking place in LA! I wanted to become a volunteer (you know me, always trying to volunteer) but the website said they already had a waiting list. Exclusive! I really wanted to visit the different locations being in UCLA, USC, and a few other places nearby. The ones I went to were held at the Convention Center. I really wanted to watch bowling but the times I went it would be really packed and they weren't letting anyone go in. 


I went only two days, which were the last two days of the Special Olympics. Day 1 I went with Milton and the last day I went with my mum since she really wanted to go see the games! The games I remember seeing was volleyball, bocce, something like soccer, and I think that's it. I wanted to see weight lifting but there was a long time until the next "match". I didn't know what to expect going in there. I didn't know how it was set up. But once we were in there it felt really special! Like these kids out here are playing better than I can! They showed their dedication, how hard they practice, you can see how frustrated they were if something went wrong. Each section and the entire room was filled with enthusiasm! I had watched news specials about the players coming from different countries and how this was such a big milestone for them. You can't help but smile when you see the happiness and determination in their eyes! I don't think anyone would go there for bad intentions, but you can't say anything bad about these kids! I witnessed one of them getting hurt while playing soccer and the opponent team was there helping the injured player and helping him up. I think they get put down a lot especially the parents/families hearing ignorant comments from people. If someone were to have said something, look at you so close minded making ignorant comments while they're out there having the time of their lives and doing something they truly enjoy! 


Kids, teens, adults, elders, everyone was in the games! What I thought was pretty inspiring was hearing the families on the news saying "We're turning their disability and bringing out all the abilities they have!" Which is true, just because you're not "like the rest" doesn't mean you can't do everything things and join a sport! For the second day, the final day of the Olympics, I went with my mum and it was quite emotional! We walked around watching different sports, but the majority of the time we spent it at the awards ceremony. We were on the sides, the photographers in front, and everyone else cheering on the stands. We saw people from different race, different disability, but when they come together for something like this, it's like they're one. Although they play against each other, they're all there for the same reason sharing the same hobby! Off topic but while we were watching them play soccer there was a lady walking around with a cart and she was handing out Coke, Gatorade, and water bottles, like deyum free event and free drinks! lol But anywho, I feel the second day was maybe more touching in a way because it was the last day and we were watching them receive the medals. And I feel really thankful that the Special Olympics took place in LA this year and that I was able to go! Because I think the next Special Olympics are taking place in Australia or something. That's why you have to take advantage of things and enjoy them because you don't know if you'll get the same opportunity again! I enjoyed watching the games and I enjoyed hearing the stories about some of them and how proud they are that they get to represent their country. And most of all how great it is that they are given this opportunity, they have their own Olympics! The fact that so many people, not just family members, were there cheering them on and at every station,  seemed really beautiful! They may have a disability, but they have sooo many more abilities! 


(photo taken: August 1, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment